While many organizations use events such as a bake sale to raise funds for their causes, the Creativity Shell is launching a Great Community Bake-Together fundraiser instead.
If you have not heard of the Creativity Shell, they are a nonprofit organization on a mission to use creative trades to educate and inspire the next generation of makers. The organization teaches classes such as sewing/textile arts, cooking, building and other creative trades to students in our studios, libraries, schools, ABA therapy centers, the juvenile justice system as well as shelters that rescue children from homelessness and human trafficking. All their classes are designed to teach children essential life skills, practical skills, and positive mental health coping skills.
During the month of January 2022, families, individuals, friends, neighbors and more from different communities across are invited to participate in a weekly Community Bake Together. New recipes will be presented each week, and Bake-Together groups will attempt to bake the recipe!
“We think this is a fun and positive way to begin the New Year.” says Shelancia Daniel, founder and executive director of the Creativity Shell. “This campaign was originally designed to be a bake-off where families were competing, but we decided to pivot it to see if we can use it as a bonding moment between families and communities.” Added Daniel
Funds raised from the Bake-Together will be used to help build the Creativity Shell Design and Community Service Center in the Greater Rochester Area. Once finished, the Center will be a one stop space where children can learn life skills such as sewing, cooking and other skilled trades. The Center will also be a space that provides age-appropriate jobs for students, teach students to give back to the community and provide free mental health therapy for youths in need.
If you cannot participate in the Bake-Together but would still like to contribute to the Creativity Shell, please visit their website at www.creativityshellroc.org/donate
To participate in the Great Community Bake-Together:
- Create a Bake-Together Group. A Bake-Together group is a person, a group of people or/an individual that you plan to bake with each week. The Creativity Shell is hoping that you use this time to bake with the little ones in the home as most recipes will be geared towards children.
- Once the group is selected, purchase a virtual ticket from the Creativity Shell. Tickets: https://creativityshell.ticketspice.com/the-great-community-bake-togetherEach ticket holder will receive the weekly recipe along with a supplies and ingredients shopping list. (Most of the items will be things most people have in stock.)
- Variations of recipes such as accounting for gluten free, vegetarian and vegan can also be available for those in need.
- Once recipes are received and materials/supplies have been sourced, Bake-Together groups will have until the following Sunday of that week to complete the recipe.
- If you need help with a recipe, a live Zoom session will be available each Friday during the month of January 2022 from 7PM – 9PM Est or 6PM – 8PM Cst.
- Participants that wish to share photos/videos of their Bake-Together creations can submit them to the Creativity Shell via email at email@example.com or can post on social media with the tag #creativityshellbaketogether #baketogether2022 #baketogetherweek1.
- Each participant that share will be entered into a weekly drawing that includes: Gift Cards, Summer Camp Week at Creativity Shell, Private Cooking workshops & more!